logo


I received an offer Friday for a new job, but they told me I had to accept it by Monday if I wanted it. I’m concerned that’s a red flag of a difficult employer. What do I do?

Q: I received an offer Friday for a new job, but they told me I had to accept it by Monday if I wanted it. I’m concerned that’s a red flag of a difficult employer. What do I do?

A: Try to do some quick research. Use LinkedIn as a fast way of finding out who previously worked there, and contact him or her right away. That person may send you signals, or may even tell you straight out if it’s a workplace to beware. I assume you Googled the employer before you interviewed, but if not, do so.

If you can find no other reasons to hesitate and you otherwise want the job, you have two choices: accept it and, hopefully, enjoy it…or tell them you really want to say yes but need just a couple of days to honor finishing your search thoughtfully. Then, read the tea leaves if they refuse and consider making your other choice, to walk away. That’s a brave and highly personal decision but, in the end, it could save you a great deal of unhappiness if your instincts lead you in another, ultimately better, direction.

I think most people would say that, in this market, a bird in the hand is worth holding onto. But if you wanted to do the easiest thing, in the short run, you wouldn’t have asked me the question. I applaud you for concerning yourself not only with the short run, but with the career phases that will follow.