Q: Why do I need to be on social media?
A: Lawyers resist change, but there are at least 5 reasons to be on social media (and that means at least on LinkedIn).
1) Prospective employers will look you up…and they want to find you.
2) It’s important to stay connected to and continually expand your network.
3) It’s the fastest way to gain information about and access developments in your practice area and advents in the profession and beyond.
4) Its search function is a vital tool for finding lawyers of commonality when you are searching for a new job.
5) When you join LinkedIn groups, job opportunities can be emailed to you.
I also encourage lawyers to get on Twitter, which is 85% or more for business now and another quick way to get information and, actually, inspiration.
Don’t resist using social media. It’s good for you and for your career.